- Pack light! Keep in mind . . . you probably do not need to take more junk with you to Chiapas than what can fit into one standard carry-on + one daypack/backpack. Whatever you choose to haul down, you will be limited to one backpack for jungle trips because of vehicle space – and because you really don’t need more. Go fast and light!
- Mark your clothes with your name.
- Laundry Facilities will be available at times, but bring at least a week’s worth of clothes.
- If you wear glasses or contacts, it’s a good idea to take an extra pair or repair supplies.
- Do not bring items in your carry-on that could cause delays at airport security or customs. These items include metal nail files, pocket knives, scissors, and bottles of liquids over 3 oz.
- You are welcome to bring your smartphone. It can be especially helpful if it functions as your camera, flashlight, alarm clock, notebook, Bible, language dictionary etc. Wifi will be available from time to time. However, keep in mind that you are going to interact with people. Don’t let social media, games, etc. become a distraction. Don’t let social media, games, etc. become a distraction.
- Keep in mind that you will only be allowed one backpack plus sleeping gear for jungle treks due to vehicle space and because you really don’t need more than that. Go fast and light!
- If you are bringing expensive photography equipment, computer gear, or a musical instrument we highly recommend having it insured. You can often add this to your (or your parents’) homeowner’s or renter’s policy. For the most part, this just applies to professional photographers and musicians.